Other titles by Ann Downer
The Glass Salamander
• American Booksellers Association's
"Pick of the Lists" for 1987
The Spellkey Trilogy
The Books of the Keepers
Ann Downer, resident of Somerville, is an award-winning author of children's books (most notably, Hatching Magic) as well as an editor at Harvard University Press. Ann has just completed the sequel to Hatching Magic, tentatively titled The Dragon of Never-Was (sample chapter).
Information on scheduling an appearance for young readers and aspiring writers can be found on her website.
• Nominated for "Teen's Top Ten Book List" by the Young Adult Library Services Association
• Named to New York Public Library's "100 Titles for Reading and Sharing 2003"
• WAMC Northeast Public Radio Roundtable Book Pick for August 2004
• Rhode Island Children's Book Award nominee 2005
• Great Stone Face Children's Book Award nominee for 2004-2005
• Scholastic Book Fair Featured Book
Notes on Somerville
"My husband has lived in Somerville for almost twenty years, and I moved here in 1992. We love so much about Somerville: walks along the bike path on a snowy evening, the Somerville Theater and Jonny D's, the farmer's market in Davis Square, the late, lamented Disk Diggers record store, being regulars at Soundbites way back before it got discovered. We love the decorations on the houses at Christmas and the ArtBeat festival and living in a community that values the arts and nurtures its artists. I've enjoying working with kids both at the Somerville Public Library and in the Somerville schools, talking to them about my books and what it's like to be a writer, and hope to be able to do more of that, as a way of giving back to a community that's given me so much. But mostly I love living on a block where people call out to each other from their porches and share garden tomatoes across the fence and just look out for one another."